We thank our friends from all over the world for their moral support and encouragement:
- His Excellency Dr Michael Witter, Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany to Singapore;
- Goethe Institut Singapur.
Partnership with Richard-Wagner-Verband-International
The Richard Wagner Association (Singapore) is one of nearly 150 members of the Richard- Wagner-Verband-International headquartered in Bayreuth. RWVI is currently led by President Mr. Horst Eggers.
RWVI and our sister societies are supporting “The Flying Dutchman” in the following significant ways:
- Mrs. Eva Wagner-Pasquier has consented to grace our Singapore Premiere (International Cast) performance on 23 October as our Guest-of-Honour;
- The advice and support of RWVI Vice-President Mrs. Alessandra Althoff-Pugliese as our Artistic Consultant, in casting and coaching our international cast so they are prepared before they arrive for rehearsals in October;
- Partnership with Prof. Hans-Michael Schneider, President, Richard-Wagner-Verband Karlshuhe e.V, enabling us to cast our leads from the finalists of their triennial International Singing Competition for Wagner Voices;
- The promotion of our “The Flying Dutchman” Singapore Holiday Experience travel package among overseas Wagnerians, with assistance from Prof. Dr. Gunter Cizek, Secretary, Richard-Wagner-Verband International e.V.
Mrs Eva Wagner-Pasquier, great-granddaughter of Richard Wagner, warmly encouraged RWA(S) when it broached with her its thoughts on a Singapore production of “The Flying Dutchman”. She will grace our Singapore Premiere (International Cast) performance on 23 Octoer 2016, as our Guest-of-Honour. Mrs Wagner-Pasquier worked in administrative posts at the Vienna State Opera, Royal Opera House, London, Opéra Bastille, Houston Grand Opera Théâtre du Châtelet, Metropolitan Opera, New York and elsewhere before becoming joint director of the Bayreuth Festival in 2008. Today, she is the Ambassador of the Bayreuth Festival to Wagner Societies.
Mr Horst Eggers, President of Richard-Wagner-Verband-International (RWVI) who when he came into office in 2015, heard about our aspiration to stage a Wagner opera in Singapore for the first time and promptly extended a letter of support and endorsement to ease our fund-raising efforts.
Mrs Alessandra Althoff-Pugliese, President of the Wagner Society of Venice and Vice President of the Richard-Wagner-Verband-International (RWVI) has generously acted as an Artistic Consultant, since April 2015 when we first met her. As an extension of her role in organising the International Singing Competition for Wagner Voices, she has given us invaluable support in sourcing and casting of our international leads. A professional vocal coach, she is coaching these singers in Europe, in preparation for their roles.
Mrs Andrea Buchanan, Secretary of the UK Wagner Society and a member of the RWVI Verband, has been very supportive of Singapore’s “The Flying Dutchman” initiative from the outset. From as early as December 2014, she provided advice on how to we could work with RWVI and forge partnerships with our counterpart societies.